Today I have a rant and unique outlook for you guys.
In my 29 years of existence I am certain of one thing, some people are simply lazy and there is absolutely nothing you can do to change them. Some of you might argue that they may lack the proper education or access towards the goal they are trying to achieve but quite frankly I’m calling BS! The fact of the matter is this, if you truly want to achieve something 80% of your success will be based on your motivation and will to do so, while the other 20% factors in education, access, and opportunity.
A lot of my friends know and consider me “Mr. Finance.” Not a day goes by where I’m not reading, writing, or talking about finances. Therefore I constantly get approached by friends, coworkers, and family about financial matters. Some want to know how I accomplished so much at a young age and some want to learn how to invest like I do. The problem is when I give them the answer, very rarely do they follow or heed my advice. For the longest time I use to think I was making things too complex or not articulating my point clearly enough, but that’s not the problem. The problem is they didn’t and don’t have the desire to challenge their current financial belief system, self-educate, or sacrifice. That may come off as a harsh statement but sometimes the truth hurts.
Now I’m not here to judge anyone else, I truly believe the phrase “To Each Their Own,” so if people want to spend all their time watching their favorite TV series, sports, or video games then go for it! But don’t come to me a couple weeks or months later complaining about the complexities of investing or starting a business. Neither of them are complex if you put forth all of your efforts.
What in the world sparked this outburst of mine???
A college friend of mine recently started a small business selling a small number of health products. I saw her trying to market her product on Facebook and that she started a blog. I inquired about her product and we corresponded through a couple of emails, then I sent her the following…
If you’re interested I’ve been blogging for a couple months now and enjoy it a lot. I was asking about your site because I am looking to do interviews with people that have side businesses outside of their 9-5 full time jobs.
I took a look at some of your site stats and I can see you’re just getting started. If you’re seriously looking to build your blog and create a brand I can definitely help you (no sales pitch I don’t want any of your money), the number 1 thing I’ve learned about blogging is if you help and contribute to the blogosphere it will come back to you 10 fold.
I’m not trying to be assertive but if you want a helping hand I can definitely help.
You might not know what these numbers mean but I’m just getting into SEO and I just got my google page rank of 2 and I’m approaching an Alexa Ranking of under 200,000.
I know you’ve always been a determined person and with your business background I really think you could be successful.
Now guess what happened…
She NEVER emailed me back and that was over two weeks ago! I honestly don’t care that she didn’t take me up on my offer it was a sincere gesture, but I will admit I was annoyed at her decision not to respond. I’m sharing this letter because I wanted to highlight my point. When I first started blogging I wish I could have received guidance from a friend. I did so many things wrong and made a ridiculous amount of mistakes for 3 months before I finally started making headway in the blogosphere. Would a person who was motivated and ambitious have taken me up on that offer, you betcha!
This brings me to my main point. I use to be concerned with people stealing my ideas or missing out on investment opportunities but I came to an amazing realization the other day. There are so many lazy people in this world I don’t need to panic. Sure anyone can purchase a domain name and hosting to start their own blog. But how many people are willing to write 500-800 word articles 3-5 times a week? How many people are willing to reach out and network with other bloggers around the world on a daily basis? Not many! =)
As I said before. I’m not judging anybody, I don’t believe in judging others because I haven’t walked a mile in their shoes. However, these lazy attitudes give me a superior advantage in life because I’m willing to put in the work, I’m willing to fail, and I’m willing to educate myself no matter how long it takes!
This my friends assures me that the world is full of opportunities and only a select few will ever take advantage of them!
Do you have any friends, coworkers, or family members that you’ve tried to help but don’t follow through on your suggestions? How did that make you feel? Do you think this post is too harsh? My wife certainly does 😉